A month ago, when my sister came to visit us, brother-in-law bought a few beers and when it comes to buying one for me, I would always request Cerveza Negra. I simply love the robust malty flavor of cerveza which somehow is similar to Guinness Stout. No, I don’t drink beer on a regular basis (well, not anymore! and it’s been years!!! do i sound defensive here?!?), so whenever I get the chance, I make sure I drink what I really want.
After they left there’s one extra bottle left of the Cerveza; and since I really do not drink regularly, let alone by my lonesome, I just kept it in the fridge.
Last Friday, that’s when the Cerveza was put to good use. I was reminded of a recipe I saw from Travel and Living where the chef dipped the chicken tenders in a beer batter before frying and so that’s what I did with the chicken tenders I bought. The result? It was good and every bite of the chicken had a hint of malt in it.
And for the recipe:
1/4 kg of chicken tenders (around 6 thick strips)
1/2 cup of flour
1/2 cup of beer (Cerveza Negra in my case)
1/2 tsp baking soda
oil for frying
- Pat dry the chicken pieces. Set aside.
- Whisk together the rest of the ingredients for the batter.
- Heat enough oil in a pan making sure that the chicken pieces will be submerged. Medium heat will do.
- When the oil is heated enough, dip each chicken tenders in the beer batter and put into the oil. Do not overcrowd the pan to cook the chicken pieces evenly.
- Once the chicken pieces turm golden brown, around 5-6 mins on each side, drain on paper towels and serve with any dip that your palate prefers.
I asked hubby to make the dip. He just mixed tomato catsup, mayonnaise, and hot sauce together. As to the measurements, hubby doesn’t measure 🙂
Enjoy your chicken tenders! We did! Hik!!!