Well, I guess the title of this article gave it all away. Need I say more???
I’m not a banana the fruit person but I loooooovvvveeee banana breads. Last week, I bought a bunch of bananas just to perk me up. It does takes my blues away 🙂
Anyway, since there are quite a plenty of the bananas, and they’re turning overripe already, I decided to make a banana bread. However, I didn’t have any eggs in the fridge so I searched the net for any egg-less banana bread recipe. Of course, the internet did not fail me… there were numerous of the recipes, especially those designed for vegans.
And so, I baked! And it turned out to be the best banana bread I have ever baked!!! Yey!!! It’s cheap and delish at the same time!!!
Here’s the recipe, which I copied from one of the forums in Fresh Loaf Website :
- 1/2 cup shortening or canola oil, or butter etc. (I used olive oil)
- 1 cup white sugar (I just used a scant 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 very ripe mashed bananas (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1-2 teaspoons pure vanilla
- chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8×4 inch loaf pan. (This can be made in any size pan or muffin tins just adjust the baking time)
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugar and add vanilla. Sift in the flour, baking soda and salt. Blend in the mashed bananas. Stir in the chocplate chips. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until it tests done with a toothpick.